Stirlingshire Accidents 1901-1914

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents in Stirlingshire from 1901 to 1914 inclusive. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for reports by the Inspector of Mines and accidents in other areas.

22 January 1901

Fatal Accident at Carmuirs Colliery - About nine o'clock on Tuesday morning a man named Robert Brownlie, Lorn Place, Larbert, was engaged pushing waggons, along with another man named Thos. Smith, at Carmuirs Colliery. While engaged at this work a waggon came down behind them unobserved from the coal screen lye, and Brownlie was caught between the two buffers and crushed to death. Deceased is about 58 years of age, and is survived by a widow and family. [Falkirk Herald 26 January 1901]

16 April 1901

Kilsyth - Miner Killed - While at work at the face at Banknock Colliery on Wednesday, Thomas Miller (46) miner, Low Banton, was killed instantaneously by a fall from the roof. His son, who was working alongside him, escaped uninjured. Deceased leaves 12 of a family. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 20 April 1901]

23 May 1901

Kilsyth - Fatal Pit Accident - On Monday, John Tripney, miner, Bankier Houses, Banknock, died from injuries sustained in the Drumgray seam in Messrs Young's No 2 Pit, Camerton Collieries, Banknock. It appears that Tripney, who was a married man, while in his working place was caught by a heavy fall of coal, which unexpectedly came away and severely crushed the lower parts of the unfortunate man's body. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 1 June 1901]

14 August 1901

Fatal Pit Accident - On Wednesday afternoon John Gallagher, miner, Smithston Row, met his death in No. 2 Pit, Gartshore, through a fall from the roof. When found he was alive, but the weight of the fall was such that it took a considerable time to extricate him, by which time life was extinct. [Falkirk Herald 17 August 1901]

7 October 1902

Young Lad Killed at Carmuirs Colliery - Between three and four o'clock on Tuesday afternoon an accident occurred at Carmuirs Colliery by which a young lad, 15 years of age named James Ferguson Thomson, met his death. The lad was a son of Hugh Thomson, miner, Orchard Street, Camelon, and was employed in the pit along with his father. He was just in the act of leaving off work on Tuesday afternoon when he was struck by a runaway hutch containing about 2 cwts. of tool, and instantaneously killed. The body was brought to the surface and afterwards conveyed home, where it was examined by Dr Hewart, Falkirk, who certified that death was due to dislocation of the neck. The boy and his father had just come from Hamilton a few days previously, and started work in the Carmuirs Pit. [Falkirk Herald 11 October 1902]

10 October 1902

Accident In Scotch Pit – Miner Killed – Four Seriously Injured - An accident resulting in the death of one miner and serious injury to four others occurred at Messrs Woods' Neilston Colliery, Kilsyth, this morning. The brake on a rake of hutches failing to act, the hutches dashed against a wall, pitching five men out of them. John Gorian, 18 years old. High Street, Kilsyth, had his skull fractured, and died instantaneously. James Boyd and Matthew Boyd, Church Street, sustained cuts and bruises about the head. George Robertson, Newton Street, was also seriously injured. Hugh Bowie, Backbrae Street, was badly crushed about the head, his injuries being considered the most serious. Dr Eraser and his assistant arrived at the colliery a few minutes after the occurrence, and having attended to the men's injuries, sent them home in the ambulance. This is the most serious accident at this colliery for several years. [Evening Telegraph 10 October 1902]

1 December 1902

Fatal Explosion In A Stirlingshire Pit - An explosion of gas occurred on Monday afternoon in East Plean colliery, Bannockburn, severely burning a miner named Daniel M'Leod all over the face and body. He was removed in the evening to Stirling Royal Infirmary, where he died about midnight. [Scotsman 3 December 1902]

12 February 1903

Two Miners Killed - Yesterday afternoon, two Kilsyth miners, Archibald Goodwin and Robert Weir, were killed in Dumbreck No 1 Pit, Kilsyth, belonging to Messrs Baird. They were working in a new road in the cloven coal, when several hundredweights of material fell from the roof above them. Both were killed outright. Both have left widows, and Goodwin four and Weir five children. [Scotsman 13 February 1903]

21 February & 18 March 1903

Fatal Accident Inquiries - Before Sheriff Graham and a jury, in the Falkirk Sheriff Court on Monday, three inquiries took place under tho Fatal Accident Inquiry Act. The first inquiry was into the circumstances attending the death of David Robertson, labourer, Lochside, Redding, who, while engaged shunting at the railway siding at Redding Colliery, occupied by James Nimmo and Co., coalmasters, accidentally slipped and fell, his face coming into violent contact with the grease-box of a waggon, whereby he was severely injured, and died about six hours afterwards. A formal verdict was returned. The second inquiry had reference to the somewhat mysterious death of Edward Craig, engineman, Whiteside, at Easter Jaw Pit, Slamannan, on the 18th March, through his being crushed between the framework of the hoist near to the pithead. Thomas Muir, miner, Easter- Shieldhill, deponed that he passed the pit about 5.30 on the evening of the day in question, and observed the deceased about the hoist, part of his body being between the hoist and the framework of the cage. He told the man at the boilers of the matter, and he informed witness that Craig was dead. Gavin Allan, fireman. Easter Jaw, said he started work with Craig that evening, and last spoke to him at five o'clock. Deceased was quite sober and fit for his work. He was going in the direction of the hoist. He did not see him afterwards. When the witness Muir spoke to him of what he had observed, he went to the hoist and found Craig dead and jammed between the cage and the framework of the hoist. This was twenty minutes after he had spoken to Craig. John Leslie, blacksmith, Jaw Cottage, Slamannan, deponed that he was employed at the Easter Jaw Pit, and that on the night in question the witness Allan came to his house and told him that an accident had happened at the pit. He found Craig jammed between the cage and the hoist. His left leg was hanging outside of the cage and he had been caught by the lower part of the body. It was with some considerable difficulty that he was able to get the body removed. The hoist was used for lifting coal to the pithead. It was not meant to be used for men, and he had never seen it used in that way. The hoist was set in motion by a lever turning on the steam, and the hoist went away quickly, particularly if it was not in use. From the position of the lever, a man could not start the cage and jump on with safety. From the position of Craig, he assumed that he had touched the lever, and then jumped on to the cage. David Mitchell, pit-bottomor, Easter Jaw, said he was employed at the pit that day, and left at 4 p.m. He did not see the deceased. He had never seen a man go up or down the hoist, and was aware that it was very dangerous to do so. He had never seen any one setting the lever in motion and attempt to jump on to the cage. He was not aware that this was the third accident which had occurred in the district within the last twelve months with these hoists. He was not aware that any accident had happened at this hoist before, and the deceased had no duties to perform at it. Alex. Greig, manager at Easter Jaw Colliery, deponed that the hoist was used for raising coal, and that the men were forbidden to use it in going up and down. It was an extremely dangerous practice, and he had never known of it being done. He could not suggest anything for Craig being there, and he had no business to be there. Geo. Craig, the father of the deceased, said that he and his son were enginemen at Easter Jaw Pit but they were employed on different shifts. He could not say what his son would be doing when he got into the position in which he was found, unless he was trying to stop steam, which witness had seen blowing from the piston. The jury found that the deceased had met his death in the manner described. [Falkirk Herald 1 April 1903]

20 April 1903

Fatal Pit Accident - On Monday William Marshall, residing at 46 High Street, Bathgate, met a sudden death while engaged at work at No. 2 Moss-side Colliery (Messrs Gavin, Paul & Sons, Limited). Marshall and a fellow-work man, Wm. Campbell, were employed securing the roof, when a large stone fell, and, striking Marshall, killed him instantaneously. Campbell escaped without injury. The deceased was 43 years of age, and leaves a widow and four children, for whom much sympathy is felt. Marshall was a much-respected member of the local Volunteer Company, and the funeral yesterday (Thursday) afternoon was a military one, at which his comrades were present in good numbers, along with Bathgate Brass Band. The cortege was an impressive sight as it wended its way to the cemetery.

Military Funeral - The funeral of William Marshall, miner, High Street, who was killed while at work on Monday, at No. 2 Mosside Colliery, took place yesterday afternoon, and created widespread interest. The funeral was a military one, the members of the Volunteer Co. turning out to pay their last respects to their comrade, Major Spiers, Capt. A, P. Simpson, and the other officers being present. Bathgate Brass Band was in attendance, and on the way to the cemetery played the "Dead March" very effectively. There were also present a large number of friends and townspeople, and the funeral procession was one of the largest seen in Bathgate and was a most impressive sight. As the cortege passed down the principal streets it was viewed by a crowd of sympathetic onlookers, and the shops in town were temporarily closed. At the grave the last military honours were carried out in the customary manner. [Falkirk Herald 25 April 1903]

30 July 1903

Fatal Colliery Accident - Archibald Macphie, miner, Meadowside, Kilsyth, died on Thursday night from injuries received in No. 5 pit, Dumbreck Colliery, on Wednesday. Macphie was waiting after completing his day's work to ascend in the cage. A water pipe, which was being taken up the shaft, slipped from its lashings, and on reaching the bottom, rebounded, striking Macphie, several of whose ribs were fractured, penetrating the lungs. [Scotsman 1 August 1903]

18 August 1903

Fatal Pit Accident -Between three and four o'clock on Tuesday afternoon, while a miner named John Crawford, about 40 years of age, was engaged at work in the Klondyke Pit of the Banknock Coal Company, Limited, a fall of rock from the roof took place, crushing the unfortunate man beneath it, the result being instantaneous death. The painful news was speedily conveyed to his widow, who is left with six children, none of whom are yet of age to work. Deceased was of a quiet and upright character, and was greatly esteemed alike by employers and employed.[ Falkirk Herald 22 August 1903]

3 November 1903

Stirlingshire Miner Killed – This morning a man named Easton, residing at Kinnaird, near Carron, was killed by a large stone falling from the roof upon him, while at work in the employment of the Carron Company at Garribaldi Pit, West Mains, near Carron. Another telegram states that deceased was aged 25 and married. The fall was about three tons weight. Another man named John Gardiner was seriously injured. [Edinburgh Evening News 3 November 1903]

6 November 1903

Fatal Colliery Accident - In Dumbreck colliery, near Kilsyth, by a fall from the roof yesterday forenoon, two men were buried. One miner, Gilbert Anderson, a married man. was dead when discovered, and his companion, William Anderson, was so seriously injured that his removal to the Victoria Memorial Cottage Hospital was ordered. [Scotsman 7 November 1903]

17 December 1903

Denny Miner Killed – Brother’s Narrow Escape - Yesterday a fatal accident occurred in Quarter Pit (William Baird & Co.'s), Denny, to a miner named Thomas M'Pake. Thomas and his brother Michael were engaged at the stoops, when there was a sudden collapse of the roof, burying Thomas in the debris. Michael escaped with a few cuts on the face and a shock. Thomas was killed almost instantaneously. The accident was the occasion of much excitement in the works, and there was an immediate suspension of labour. M'Pake was about 32 years of age, and leaves a widow and two children. He served in the 91st Rejriment in the South African war at the opening of the campaign, came home, and went back again with the Stirlingshire Militia as an officer's servant. [Evening Telegraph 18 December 1903]

15 January 1905

Fatal Pit Accident – On Saturday forenoon, while three pit sinkers were descending No 1 Carnock Colliery, belonging to the Alloa Coal Company, the kettle in which they stood stopped to allow of some repairs being made to the air pipes, when one of the men, named John Crawford, who was standing on the edge of the kettle, let go his hold of the chains, and fell to the bottom of the shaft, a distance of 53 feet. He fell among some loose stones, and when found was still conscious, although badly injured. He died in the ambulance van on the way to Stirling Royal Infirmary. Deceased resided at 4 High Ravenscraig, Wishaw, and leaves a widow and three children. He had only worked five shifts in the pit. [Scotsman 16 January 1905]

4 March 1905

Accident at a Stirling Colliery - On Saturday a middle aged man, named Alexander Brown, employed at Fallin Colliery, near Stirling, belonging to Archibald Russell & Co., fell from a scaffold on which he was working, and sustained serious injuries. He was removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary in an unconscious condition. He is supposed to have sustained a fracture of the skull. [Scotsman 6 March 1905]

9 December 1905

Pit Accident Near Stirling – On Saturday, in Bandeath Colliery, near Stirling, Conn O'Donnel, a miner, was struck by a fall of stone from the roof and his back broken. He was removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary. [Scotsman 11 December 1905]

28 January 1906

Explosion In A Stirling Pit – Two Men Killed - About seven o'clock yesterday morning an explosion of fire damp occurred in No. 2 Pit, Polmaise Colliery near Stirling belonging to Messrs Archibald Russell & Company by which two men lost their lives. Their names are Thomas Laird (23) fireman and Joseph Kennedy (21) roadsman both natives of the Hamilton district who came to Stirling a few months ago and resided in lodging in Main Street St Ninians. Polmaise Colliery was opened about two years ago and this is the first explosion that has occurred in it. It is one of the best appointed collieries in the country and electric safety lamps are used by the miners so that the cause of the explosion yesterday morning is still a mystery. The men were engaged in erecting a ball or signal in the pit and at the time of the explosion there were only two other men underground but much nearer the shaft. These men heard the explosion and attempted to make their way towards the scene of it, but the after damp was so dense that they were forced to give up the attempt. Mr Brown manager of the colliery was at the surface at the time of the occurrence and his attention was arrested to the fact of something unusual having taken place by a column of smoke rushing up No. 2 shaft. He summoned assistance and having learned what had taken place from the two men who had been brought up he got a current of fresh air diverted into the road where the “bell”was being placed and then proceeded down the pit to the scene of the accident. The fire damp was still present and one man was overcome and had to be taken in a unconscious condition to the surface where he was attended to by Dr Laidlaw. The rescue part y found the two men lying dead about 100 fathoms from the pit bottom. There were no marks of violence on the bodies which were removed to the pithead and afterwards taken home. Both men are unmarried. [Scotsman 29 January 1906]

10 March 1906

Bannockburn – Fall Down A Pit Shaft – On Saturday morning the pump engineman at Cowie Colliery near Bannockburn, named John M'Lachlan fell down the shaft from the level where he was working, a distance of 33 1/2 fathoms from the bottom, and was instantaneously killed. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 17 March 1906]

24 April 1911

Kilsyth Miner Killed - In No. 2 Pit Haugh colliery, Kilsyth, belonging to Messrs William Baird & Company (Limited); William Rowatt Maxwell miner, Church Street , Kilsyth , was killed yesterday morning by a heavy fall from the roof. A brother named John, who went to his assistance, was struck by a large stone and severely injured. Deceased, who was only nineteen years of ago, was brother of the Rev. A. Rowatt Maxwell. [Scotsman 26 April 1911]

27 May 1911

Miner Killed – On Saturday, a miner named Robert Waugh, employed at Broomrigg Pit, No 3 Banknock Collieries, was killed by a fall of stone. [Scotsman 29 May 1911]

11 January 1913

Surfaceman Killed - It was reported by the Falkirk police yesterday that a railway surfaceman named William Martin (62) and residing at Polmont had met his death under somewhat mysterious circumstances. Martin's dead body was found lying on the branch mineral railway connected with Redding Colliery. The appearance of the body indicated that the deceased had met his death as the result of an accident, but as Martin was working alone on the railway, the manner in which the fatality occurred is largely a matter of conjecture. On the body being medically examined it was found that one of the man's ribs had been broken, and that he had also burst a blood vessel. The theory entertained is that while using an iron pinch in the discharge of his duty, the implement in some way or other caught Martin on the body, and inflicted the injuries which caused his death. [Scotsman 14 January 1913]

17 February 1913

Fatal Pit Accident. - James Marshall (19), who was injured in Dennyloanhead Pit, Banknock Collieries , through his left leg getting caught in the kink of a wire rope, died in Denny Cottage Hospital yesterday morning. His leg was amputated, but he never rallied from the shock and loss of blood. [Scotsman 19 February 1913]

18 February 1913

Fatal Pit Accident At Stirling - Early yesterday morning a fatal accident occurred in No. 1 pit, Polmaise Colliery, Millhall, near Stirling. Two men named Archibald Harper, who resided at Borestone Place, St Ninians, and William Macpherson, Millhall, were engaged working a coal-cutting machine, when a fall from the roof occurred. Harper was killed outright, and Macpherson received severe injuries to the back and pelvis. Macpherson was immediately removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary. Harper was well-known in football circles, and played for King's Park F.C., Stirling. He had also served with the Fulham, Dundee, and Aberdeen clubs. [Scotsman 19 February 1913]

27 February 1913

A Stirlingshire Miner's Death. - Between three and four o'clock yesterday afternoon, James M'Callum (19), pit worker, who resided at Miller Place, Cowie, met a fatal accident at Bannockburn Colliery. It appears that the cage, containing eight men, was being raised, and on reaching the pithead, it failed through some unknown cause to stop at the staging. M'Callum became alarmed at the situation, and endeavoured to jump from the cage on to the pithead. In this, however, he was unsuccessful, and he fell to the bottom of the shaft, a distance of about 80 fathoms. Death was instantaneous. The cage was stopped before it reached the winding wheel. [Scotsman 28 February 1913]

21 June 1913

Bannockburn Man Killed - Michael Kelly, cokeworker , Old Bridge, Bannockburn, received fatal injuries on Saturday while working at a number of waggons at Carnock colliery. [Scotsman 23 June 1913]

September 1913

Accident at Redding colliery - A lad of sixteen years, named James Hall, Reddingmuirhead, employed as a miner at Redding colliery, near Falkirk , sustained severe internal injuries as the result of an accident which occurred while he was at work at the colliery. Hall was riding in front of a line of moving hutches, which suddenly stopped, throwing him off against some other hutches in front. Before he managed to get clear the hutches in the rear moved forward, and he was jammed between the two lines. He was removed to Falkirk Infirmary. [Scotsman 3 September 1913]

14 November 1913

Polmaise Pit Fatality - Yesterday, William Malcolmson (17), pit draught-door attendant who resided at the Crook near Stirling, was instantaneously killed at No. 4 Pit, Polmaise colliery. Malcolmson had been attending to his duties when three loaded hutches broke away on a brae. The hutches struck Malcolmson, inflicting fatal injuries. [Scotsman 15 November 1913]