Information specific to this village can be found below and on the left
menu bar. We also recommend consulting the many general pages for
information of general relevance to miners' lives.
|Hamilton Palace Colliery was owned by the Bent Coal Company, which
also owned several other pits in Lanarkshire. It was sunk in 1884, a
period of expansion in the coal industry in the area. The colliery was
sunk on the Duke of Hamilton's estate, north of Hamilton Palace.|
The village associated with the colliery was called Bothwellhaugh, known locally as "The Pailis". After the colliery closed in May 1959, the housing deteriorated. Eventually, the decision was taken to demolish all the housing, and the site of the village was cleared. It is now marked by a cairn and war memorial (left)