6 September 1885
24 Nov 1891
Hamilton Palace Colliery, Bothwell
A new hall was opened for religious services at Hamilton Palace Colliery, in the parish of Bothwell, on Sunday forenoon, by Rev James P Lang of Stirling, and the Rev Alexander waters, B.D in the evening. There was a large attendance at both diets of worship. A few years ago operations were begun for taking out the mineral in the extensive coal fields of Bothwell and Hamilton Haughs, with the results that there is now a population of upwards of 1200 in the district. The Company that have leased the minerals have erected a commodious suite of halls for the benefit of those connected with their works, including a large hall capable of holing 300, for general meetings, and a smaller hall for reading and recreation rooms. The halls are to be made available on Sunday for religious services, a Sunday school, Bible class, and other such agencies. In addition to giving the use of the halls without charge for these purposes, the Company have contributed generously toward the payment of a salary for a licensed assistant to work among their people.
12 Aug 1924
Miners Institute Opened at Bothwell
The Miners' Welfare Institute at Bothwellhaugh was formally opened by Mr John Robertson, junior Lord of the Treasury, and member for Bothwell Division. Ex-County Councillor William Crawford presided over a large and representative gathering. The building which is situated in what is best known as Hamilton Palace Colliery District, and is about a mile equidistant from Bothwell, Motherwell and Bellshill, consists of a large hall, suitable for cinema displays or lectures, readingroom, smoking room, retiring rooms, well equipped kitchen and baths.
Hamilton Palace Colliery Silver Band
Left: c1900, Right: 1940s