The Bent Coal Company acquired the mineral rights to the coalfield around 1883. The company already worked the Bent Colliery in Hamilton. Work was begun sinking No. 1 Pit which was opened by 1884.
Hamilton - the Mineral in the North Haugh
It is stated that the Trustees of the Duke of Hamilton have resolved to let the mineral under the North Haugh - the stretch of park between Hamilton Palace and Bothwell Bridge. The new coal field will extend to 800 acres, and will include the mineral under the Palace hitherto reserved. As it is proposed to sink the pits for winning the coal near the farm steading of Raith, Bothwell, the surface arrangements connected with the new colliery will cover part of the famous battlefield of Bothwell Brig. [Scotsman 30th September 1882]
27 Jan 1883 Hamilton New Coalfield
"The Bent Colliery Company have leased from the Duke of Hamilton the new coal-field under the North Haugh of Hamilton Palace policies. The field, which covers an area of upwards of 800 acres, will be the most extensive in the district, and the new works will be known as "Hamilton Palace Colliery". Sinking operations are to be commenced forthwith near Bothwellhaugh farm steading." [Scotsman 27 Jan 1883]
Advertisement 16 March 1883
The Bent Colliery Company (Ltd) are prepared to receive tenders for constructing a branch railway about one mile and a half length to their Hamilton Palace Colliery.
Plans and specifications can be seen, and schedules of quantities obtained from Mr Jas S Dixon, C.&M.E., 170 Hope Street, Glasgow, who will meet contractors at Fallside Station on Tuesday, 20th inst., at 10am, to point out the line of railway and works
Offers to be lodged with him up till the 31st inst. [Scotsman 16 March 1883]