Children's Employment Commission 1842
Click here to view the text of the subsequent 1842 Act to prohibit the Employment of Women and Girls in Mines and Collieries, to regulate the Employment of Boys, and make Provisions for the Safety of Persons working therein.
See also Petitions By Colliers 1842-1843 - collections of petitions by colliers asking for repeal or amendment of the 1842 Act
West of Scotland
Extracts from the Report to the Children's Employment Commission on the West of Scotland District by Thomas Tancred can be found here.
Evidence given by individuals can be found on the following pages:
- Glasgow, Bridewell, Govan Iron-works, Govan Colliery, Clyde Ironworks & Knightswood Colliery (Dumbartonshire)
East of Scotland
Evidence from the Report to the Children's Employment Commission on the East of Scotland District by Robert Franks can be found on the following pages. Names of those who gave evidence are summarised here.
- Penston Colliery, Elphingston Colliery, Pencaitland Colliery, Blindwells, St. Germains, Bearing Pit
- Tranent Colliery, Prestonlinks Colliery
Hard Hill Colliery; Baubauchlaw Colliery; Collinshield Colliery; Crofthead Iron-Stone Pits; Shotts Company, Green Burn Pits, Iron and Coal; Polkemmet Colliery, Ballenerief Colliery, Kipps Colliery, Preistinch Colliery, Bo'ness Colliery
Stirlingshire & Dumbartonshire
- Redding Collieries, Stoney Rigg (parish of Polmont), Glen-End and Somerhouse Collieries (parishes of Polmont & Muiravonside) Carron Company's Coal & Iron-stone Mines (Falkirk, Larbert and Bothkenner), Carron Foundry, Falkirk Iron Company, Grahamston, Bantaskine & Callendar Colliery (Falkirk)
- Banknock Colliery Still Colliery, Haggs, in the parish of Denny, Banton Ironstone Mines, Townhead and Ironbrae Collieries, parish of Kilsyth, Hirse or Netherwood Colliery, parish of Cumbernauld, Stronne Colliery, parish of Kirkintilloch, Plean Colliery and Auchinbowie Colliery, parish of St. Ninians, Bannockburn and Greenyards Collieries, parish of St. Ninians
Clackmannanshire & Perthshire
- Devon Collieries & Ironstone Pits, Clackmannanshire and Perthshire; Ironstone Pits, Vicars Bridge, parish of Fossaway; Woodlands & Devonside Collieries, parish of Tillicoutry; Sheardale Colliery, parish of Dollar; Middletown Colliery, parish of Muchart; Blairengone Colliery, parish of Fossaway; Castle Bigg Colliery, parish of Fosaway; Brucefield Colliery, parish of Tulliallan
- Torry or Inzievar Colliery, Elgin Colliery, Wellwood Colliery, Townhill and Appin Colliery, Fordel Colliery, Crossgates Colliery, Hill of Beath Colliery, Donibristle and Dundonald Collieries
- Clunie Colliery, Capledrae Colliery, Lochgellie, Cattle-Hill, and Dean-Pit Collieries, Lumphinnin's Colliery [sic], Donnikier Colliery [sic], Wemyss Colliery, Dysart Colliery, Thornton Colliery, Balbirnie Colliery, Largo Ward Colliery
- Report by Joseph Fletcher Esq. on the employment of children and young persons in the lead-mines in the counties of Lanark and Dumfries