The extracts on these pages come mainly from evidence submitted to the Royal Commission on housing conditions of the Industrial Population of Scotland, rural & urban. Their report was published in 1918. Edited extracts from the report are available here
Additional reports on Lanarkshire Housing are from Annual Reports of the County & District Medical Officer. See also the 1910 report for more on Lanarkshire housing.
See also a series of reports on Miners' Housing from the Glasgow Herald, 1875
- Kelty - mentions Adam's Terrace; Dewar's Row; Pleasance; picture of Earls Row
- Cowdenbeath - mentions Broad Street, Arthur Place Arthur Street Thistle Street Landale Terrace
- Lochgelly - mentions Launcherhead; picture of Auchterderran Rd
- Glencraig & Lochore - pictures of Waverley Street & Montrose Crescent Lochore
- Lumphinnans - mentions Sligo Street Mungall Street and Main Street
- Bowhill, Cardenden & Dundonald
The following places can be found on the general Fife page:
West Quality Street, Burgh of Dysart; Fitzroy Square, Burgh of Dysart; 47 High Street, Burgh of Dysart; West Wemyss; East Wemyss; Coaltown of Wemyss; Methil and Buckhaven; Methilhill and Kirkland; Windygates; Kirkcaldy; Leven, Wellsgreen, Milton of Balgonie, and Coaltown of Balgonie; Valleyfield; Townhill; Kingseat; Dunfermline area.
For more on Lanarkshire housing see the 1910 report
- Blantyre Pages - Craighead Rows, Blantyre; Merry's Rows, Blantyre; Low Blantyre Village; Dixon's Rows, Blantyre
- Hamilton Pages - Udston Rows, Dykehead, Hamilton; Quarter Colliery Rows; Low Quarter; Cadzow Rows; Ferniegair; Allanton Rows; Eddlewood Colliery Rows; Ross St, Ferniegair
- New Monkland Pages - Eastfield Rows, New Monkland Parish; Eastfield, New Monkland Parish; Longriggend, New Monkland Parish; Roughrigg, New Monkland Parish; Calderbank Square & Calderbank New Square, Calderbank; White Row, Greengairs; South Stanrigg Rows
- Bothwell Parish Pages - Muirpark, Bellshill; Addie's Square, Bellshill; Hattonrigg Terrace, Bellshill; Bothwellpark Rows, Bellshill; Jerviston Square, Holytown; Baird's Square, Holytown; Hozier Street, Tannochside; Napier's Square, New Stevenston; Braidwood's Land, Uddingston; Doctor's Land, Main Street, Bellshill; Gilchrist's Land, Holytown; Lawson's Cottage, New Stevenston; Johnstonhall, Holytown; Mossend
- Coatbridge & Old Monkland Pages - Rosehall Colliery Rows, Whifflet; M'Farlane's & M'Innes' Land Baillieston
- Wishaw & Cambusnethan Pages - Orchard Row, Overtown; Stone Row, Overtown; Wemyss Row, Overtown; Morningside Square, Newmains ; Binnie's Rows, Newmains ; Morningside, Newmains
- Shotts Pages - Harthill Village and West Benhar or Muirhead Rows; West Benhar Row (Owned by Mr Forrest, Shotts); Harthill, Coltness - Shotts Parish (Houses owned by Coltness Iron Company Limited); Springhill, Stane, Shotts Kepplehill Coal Company; Gray's Land, Shotts (United Collieries Limited); Shotts District (Shotts Iron Company); Spoutscroft, Greenhill, Cleland - Shotts Parish; Dykehead, Shotts; Ravenshall, Cleland; Omoa Square
- Dalserf & Larkhall Pages - Summerlee Iron Company, Larkhall; Burnhead Rows, Larkhall; Frame Buildings, Percy St, Larkhall; Bog Colliery Rows, Dalserf; Ashgill Rows, Dalserf ; Dalserf ; Spence's Rows, High Shawsburn; Dunlop Place, Red Row ; Barr's Rows, Dalserf; Woodside, Dalserf ; Sturgeon's Rows, Netherburn
- Carnwath Area pages - New Woolfords, Carnwath; Old Woolfords, Carnwath; Quality Row, Wilsontown; Woolfords Rows; Tarbrax Village
- General Lanarkshire page: Castlehill, Carluke; Ponfeigh; Glespin; Driverholm Rows, Glespin Colliery;Stone Row, Law, Carluke ; Thornton Row, Law, Carluke ; Brownlie Rows, Law, Carluke; Woodland Square, Law, Carluke ; Newton Colliery Rows; Watsonville, Motherwell ; Old Logans Rows, Motherwell ; New Logans Rows, Motherwell; Thorniewood Rows; New Rows, Nackerty; Aitkenhead Old Rows; Newlands Rows, Bargeddie; Kirkwood and Longmuir, Bargeddie; Ellismuir, Baillieston; Blantyre Ferme, Caldervale; Cleekhimin, Carfin; West Longrigg; East Longrigg; Mossbank, Darngavil; Garnkirk.
The following places can be found on the Lothians page:
East Benhar, Fauldhouse; Woodmuir (High Blinky), West Calder; Loganlea Rows - Addiewell, West Calder; New Houses, Stoneyburn; Cappers Rows, Bathville Rows, Armadale; New Houses, Westrigg & Blackridge, belonging to the same colliery company; Durhamtown, Bathgate; Furnace yard Rows and Newton, Bo'ness; Summerlee and Morrison's Haven, Prestonpans. ; Cuthill; Udston Colliery Co Houses at Macmerry—(1) Station Road. (2) Dandie Row (3) Stair Row; Elphinstone Village, near Tranent; Lothian Coal Company's Houses, Rosewell; Lothian Coal Company's Houses, Newtongrange; Arniston Coal Company, Limited, Hunterfield, near Gorebridge; Edinburgh Collieries Ltd, Wallyford (1) Forth View (2) Long Row (3) Chuckers Row (4) Store Row (5) Drummore Row; Newton Pencaitland.
The following places can be found on the Stirlingshire page:
Redding Square; Rumford Village; Carronview Terrace; Standrigg; California; Blackbraes; South Blackbraes; Crosscroes; Standburn; Bannockburn District; Haughs; Cowie Village; Hill Terrace; Banknock Rows; Dennyloanhead; Watson Place ; Hollandbush; Kilsyth Burgh- Kingston Rows Side Row.More information on housing in Stirlingshire (and Dunbartonshire) can be found in Report on Housing Condition of Miners in Stirlingshire and Dumbarton by John Christie M'Vail, 1911.
Shale Mining Areas
The following places can be found on the Shale Mining Areas page:
Broxburn; Westerton - Westerton Rows ; Dalmeny; Winchburgh; Niddry; Kingscavil and Bridgend; Philpstoun; Pumpherston; Uphall Station - Beechwood Cottages, Station Rows, White Row ; Oakbank; Addiewell; West Calder; Gavieside, West Calder; Mossend, West Calder; Livingstone Station; Seafield; Breich; Deans and Starlaw; Tarbrax; Broxburn- east end, Bank Buildings,Old Town.
The evidence on Ayrshire is extensive and has been split into 7 parts. Unless stated otherwise, the descriptions are from the evidence submitted to the Commission by Thomas McKerrell & James Brown (NB these were taken from the original report, not the version published in the booklet "Ayrshire Miners Rows" by Ayrshire Archaelogical and Natural History Society, 1979):
Part 1 - 1. Old Pottery, Parish of Ochiltree, near Dronqan; 2. Drongan.; 3. Gasswater Rows.; 4. Cronberry.; 5. Stable Row, parish of Auchinleck; 6. Common Row, parish of Auchinleck; 7. Darnconner, parish of Auchinleck; 8. Ballochmyle Rows, parish of Auchinleck.; 9. Broom Knowe cottages, Dalmellington.; 10. Loudoun Rows, Galston; 11. Kinloch square, Gauchalland Rows, Galston.; 12. Maxwood Rows, Galston.
Part 2 - 13. Grougar Row, near Galston.; 14. Kirkland Rows, Springside, Parish of Dreghorn; 15. Springside square, Springside, parish of Dreghorn.; 16. Springhill Row, parish of Dreghorn.; 17. Corsehill Row, Parish of Dreghorn; 18. Six Rows, parish of Dreghorn. ; 19 Corsehill Square, Parish of Dreghorn; 20. Plann Row, Parish of Kilmaurs. ; 21. Hayside Row, parish of Kilmaurs.; 22. Wee South Hook Row, Parish of Kilmaurs.; 23. High South Hook Row, Parish of Kilmaurs.; 24. Laurieland Row, Crosshouse, parish of Kilmaurs.; 25. Thornton Row, Crosshouse, Parish of Kilmaurs.
Part 3 - 26. Peesweep Rows, Dalry.; 27. Carsehead Rows, Dalry.; 28. Ardeer square, Stevenston.; 29. Greenwood Rows, parish of Dreghorn.; 30. Ironworks Square, Parish of Kilwinning; 31. Barkip, Parish of Dalry.; 32. Glengarnock Ironworks Square, Parish of Kilbirnie.
Part 4 - 33. Auchenharvie Row, Burgh of Saltcoats.; 34. Auchenharvie Cottages, Parish of Stevenston.; 35. Rankinston.; 36. Cairntable Terraces, Parish of Dalrymple; 37. Bartonholm, Parish of Irvine.; 38. Fergushill, Parish of Kilwinning.; 39. Benslie, Parish of Kilwinning; 40. Annbank, parish of Tarbolton. ; 41. Mossblown, parish of Tarbolton; 42. Drumley, parish of Tarbolton; 43. Woodside, parish of Coylton; 44. Connel park, parish of New Cumnock.
Part 5 - 45. Craigbank, Parish of New Cumnock; 46. Burnfoot Row, Parish of New Cumnock; 47. Craigmark, Parish of Dalmellington; 48. Fardlehill, Near Kilmarnock ; 49. Kelk Place, near Kilmarnock; 50. Busbie Rows, parish of Kilmaurs; 51. Hemphill, Parish of Kilmaurs; 52. Burnfoothill, Parish of Dalmellington; 53. Ponnessen Rows.; 54. Lethanhill.; 55. Kilgrammie Rows, Parish of Dailly ; 56. Skares Rows, parish of Old Cumnock; 57. Glengyron Rows, Parish of Old Cumnock; 57. Garallan Rows, parish of Old Cumnock.
Muirkirk area - 59. Glenbuck, Grasshill Row, Parish of Muirkirk and 60. Muirkirk South, Parish of Muirkirk.
Part 6 - 61. Trabboch, Parish of Stair. ; 62. Highhouse Rows, Parish of Auchinleck; 63. Hurlford, parish of Riccarton.
Part 6 also contains a short paragraph on the Company store at Lugar