Stirlingshire Accidents 1871-1900

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents in Stirlingshire from 1871 to 1900 inclusive. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for reports by the Inspector of Mines and accidents in other areas.

5 January 1871

Fearful Fall - On Friday last a pit-head man named Alexander Gray, in the employment of the Redding Colliery Coy., near Falkirk, fell down one of the shafts of No. 15 Pit, on Green wells Farm, and was instantaneously killed. The deceased at the time of the accident was engaged pushing an empty waggon towards the pit-mouth to place it on the cage which he seemingly expected to be there, but without, it is supposed, looking to discover this, he ran the hutch right forward, and the cage not being at the mouth of the pit at all, he and the hutch disappeared in the shaft. Two men at once descended and brought the lifeless body of the unfortunate man to the pithead, whence it was conveyed home. The deceased was thirty-five years of age. [Falkirk Herald 12 January 1871]

17 January 1871

Kilsyth – Fatal Pit Accident – On Tuesday morning, the body of man, dreadfully mangled, was found in one of Messrs Wallace's pits at Neilston Kilsyth. The unfortunate man was David Tait, a nailer, and had been in the town the previous day seeking for work. It is supposed that he went to the pit in search of a night's shelter and accidentally fell down [Scotsman 19 January 1871]

Kilsyth - Fearful Fall - Early on Tuesday morning a stranger named John Tait, a nailer to trade, supposed to have been here in search of employment, fell down Neilston Coal Pit (eighty fathoms), belonging to James Wallace & Co. The remains of the unfortunate man were found dreadfully mangled at the bottom of the shaft by the workmen in the morning. It is thought that the deceased had been seeking shelter for the night at the pit, and having approached too near the mouth of the shaft, had fallen down accidentally. The authorities are investigating the case. [Falkirk Herald 19 January 1871]

19 January 1871

Fatal Pit Accident - On Thursday forenoon, while a miner, named Nathaniel Wilson, was at work in Twechar Pit, belonging to the Messrs Baird, Gartsherrie, a block of stone came down upon him, death being almost instantaneous. The poor man has left a widow and several children to mourn his sad fate. [Falkirk Herald 26 January 1871]

24 August 1871

Denny – Miner Killed in An Explosion - On Thursday, a miner named Alexander Paterson, was killed through an accident in Edgeface Pit, in Dunipace Parish, belonging to Messrs Baird, Gartsherrie Ironworks. The deceased was engaged stemming a shot, when it unexpectedly exploded, and he received such injuries as caused his death shortly afterwards. Paterson was thirty years of age, and leaves a wife and two children. [Scotsman 26 August 1871]

9 November 1872

KILSYTH - Fatal Pit Accident - Early on Saturday morning an accident occurred in Balaclava Coalpit, belonging to Messrs Brown & Rennie, whereby one man named James Coyle lost his life, and another, John Gowdy, was seriously injured. The men were engaged at what is known as brushing the roads, and while stemming a shot the needle broke in the bore. On attempting to remove the broken needle the shot fired. When the place was reached Coyle was found to be dead, his head being badly mutilated, and one of of his hands blown off. Gowdy has sustained severe injuries in the chest, and little hopes are entertained of his recovery. Deceased was unmarried. [Falkirk Herald 14 November 1872]

14 January 1873

Denny - Boy Killed In A Pit - A hoy named Joseph Quin, residing in the parish of Dunipace, was accidentally killed yesterday forenoon by a fall from the roof while at his work in the Anchor Ironstone pit, belonging to Messrs Baird, Gartsherrie. The unfortunate lad, who was fifteen years of age, was the only support of his mother, who is a widow. [Scotsman 15 January 1873]

2 July 1873

Fatal Accident to a Miner - On the 2d inst., while some miners were at work in Messrs Paterson's colliery, West Plean, a portion of the roof gave way, completely burying two of the number. When extricated, it was found that in the case of one life was extinct, while the other had his legs and one of his arms broken. What makes the matter more painful is the fact that the two men were brothers. Another brother had quitted the fatal spot just a few seconds before the accident. [Falkirk Herald 10 July 1873]

12 August 1873

Fatal Accident at Jawcraig Colliery - On Wednesday morning, as Hugh Breck, aged 54 years, a pitheadman, residing at Jawcraig, near Slamanan, was descending No. 12 Pit for the purpose of lighting the five lamps at the bottom of the shaft, he fell out of the shaft when near the landing. When the cage rested immediately thereafter he was crushed between it and the wall. The engineman heard his moans coming up the pit, and having procured assistance he descended and got the unfortunate man lying in the sump. He was shortly after brought to bank and conveyed home, where he was attended by Dr Nash; but on examination it was found that his injuries were of a fatal nature, three of his ribs having pierced the lungs. He lingered on, however, for a few hours, but died the same evening. [Falkirk Herald 16 August 1873]

26 December 1873

Fatal Fire-Damp Explosion Near Kilsyth - An explosion of fire-damp occurred in No. 2 Craigends Pits on Thursday afternoon. A miner named Alexander Campbell was killed, and three others - Thomas Gray, George M’Lennan, and James M’Lennan - were injured. [The Dundee Courier & Argus 27 December 1873]

23 September 1874

In a pit at Kilsyth, on Wednesday, a man was hanging in the shaft making repairs when his scaffold gave way. Thrice he succeeded in catching the bratticing as he fell, and as often the wood came away in his grasp. Then “for several seconds” - as the horrified listeners believed -  his agonising cries were heard as he fell headlong down 100 fathoms to the bottom of the shaft, where he was dashed to pieces. [Hamilton Advertiser 26 September 1874]

(NB Deceased was William Aitken)

12 October 1874

Fatal Accident – On Monday a miner named Robert Baxter, 26 years of age, latterly residing at Arnloss, in the parish of Slamannan, while engaged “brushing” a road in No 1 Coal Pit, Arnloss, was, by a stone weighing about three hundredweight falling upon him, so severely crushed that he died in the course of an hour. Dr Nash states that deceased’s ribs were torn from the backbone and crushed into his lungs. [Falkirk Herald 24 October 1874]

18 October 1877

Fatal Accident at Callendar Collieries - On Thursday a painful and fatal accident occurred at the Callendar collieries whereby a man named James Laurie, aged 49 years, lost his life. From what we can learn, it appears that Laurie and his son had been engaged "driving a mine" in No. 2 pit at a distance of about 600 yards from the bottom of the shaft, and having from six to seven square feet of working space. While busily working at the coal "face," deceased heard an unusual sound, and immediately got on to his hands and knees for the purpose of getting out below the roof, but, unfortunately, before he could get beyond danger, a stone, supposed to weigh about 3 tons, fell from the roof and crushed him to the ground. With the exception of the head and part of the arms, the poor man's body was entirely below the huge stone. Three men who were working in a compartment nearby were called to his assistance by his son, who escaped unhurt. Every muscle was strained to have the stone removed, but before that was accomplished life was extinct. He was sensible for about five minutes, and spoke to his son and the men around him. Deceased, who resided in Glen Village, leaves a widow and grownup family. [Falkirk Herald 20 October 1877]

15 February 1879

Fatal Pit Accident – On Saturday forenoon, a young lad 16 years of age, named James Chalmers, residing at Brick Row, Kilsyth, was killed at Four Arches Pit, belonging to Messrs William Baird & Company. Chalmers, who was engaged as a pony driver in the pit, when jumping off a load of full hutches that was being drawn up an incline, fell before the wheels. The loaded hutches passed over his body, causing instantaneous death. [Scotsman 17 February 1879]

24 May 1879

Fatal Pit Explosion – A disastrous explosion occurred on Sat afternoon at Denny in the No 1 pit, Quarter, Denny, belonging to Messrs Baird of Gartsherrie, which resulted in the death of one man and the serious injury of another. Robert Henderson, fireman, residing in Dunipace, was killed by the explosion, and Robert Cook, a roadsman residing in Denny, severely burned, but Dr Benny who attended him, reported on Sunday that he was doing pretty well. Henderson was 26 years of age and leaves a widow and 3 children. [Hamilton Advertiser May 31 1879]

25 November 1879

Slamannan – Young Woman Killed – Sarah M'Aughy, 21 years of age, an outdoor worker, residing at West Longrigg, Slamannan, was killed yesterday by being jammed between waggons at one of the coal pits yesterday. [Scotsman 27 November 1879]

6 December 1879

Denny – Man Killed in a Pit – Malcolm Laird was crushed to death on Saturday in Woodyett pit, Denny, by a quantity of stones falling from the roof at the face where he was working. [Scotsman 8 December 1879]

26 August 1881

Fatal Pit Accident - Our Denny correspondent writes :—A young man named Stevenson, son Robert Stevenson, miner at Plean Colliery, belonging to Messrs Paterson & Co., was accidentally killed yesterday morning by a fall from the roof of a road on which he was employed as a drawer. There were indications of life when he was discovered, but he died in the course of his removal to the pit bottom. Deceased was sixteen years of age. [The Dundee Courier & Argus 27 August 1881]
NB Listed as 26 September on mine inspector report

28 September 1881

Shocking Pit Accident At Kilsyth – One Man Killed and Another Injured - Yesterday morning an accident, resulting in the death of one man and injury to another, took place at No 2 Gartshore Pit, belonging to Messrs Baird & Co. it seems that two miners were being hoisted from the bottom of the pit to bankhead, when through an oversight the cage was allowed to be carried over the top of the pulleys, throwing out the occupants, one of whom, named Stairs, residing in Kilsyth, fell down the shaft, a distance of over 800 feet, and was instantaneously killed. The other, named J. Shaw, was thrown on to the bankhead, and suffered considerable injuries. The body of Stairs was very much mutilated when picked up from the bottom of the shaft. [The Dundee Courier & Argus 29 September 1881]

24 December 1881

Stirling Spring Circuit Court - David Chalmers, pit engineman, residing at Auchenstarry, in the parish of Cumbernauld and county of Dumbarton, was placed in the dock, charged with the crime of culpable homicide. The indictment set forth that accused was employed as an engineman at the pit commonly called No. 2 Coal and Ironstone pit, Gartshore, in the parish of Kirkintilloch; that it was his duty to take charge of and work an engine placed at the pit-head for the purpose of lowering and raising the workmen or others employed in the pit by means of the cage in the shaft ; that Francis Halkets, underground oversman, residing at Twechar, entered a cage on Saturday, 24th December last, for the purpose of descending the pit; and that Chalmers, having lowered the cage 50 fathoms, culpably and recklessly and in violation of his duty, raised it rapidly towards the mouth of the shaft and allowed it to come in violent contact with the pulley, wheels, and crossbeams, and fell upon the plates at the pit-head whereby Halkets was bruised and mortally injured. Mr J. C. Steele, who appeared for the prisoner, put in a plea of insanity, and after evidence, his Lordship sustained the plea, and ordered Chalmers to be detained during her Majesty’s pleasure. [Glasgow Herald 23 March 1882]

2 December 1882

Slamannan – Shocking Death at a Coal-Pit - A miner named Thomas Heaps, 23 years of age, residing at Limerigg, near Slamannan, while employed on Saturday afternoon at No. 4 coal-pit, belonging to the Limerigg Colliery Company, met with a shocking death. Deceased was engaged about the shaft-mouth, when he slipped and fell down the shaft, a distance of about 50 fathoms. The alarm was given, and, on descending, Heaps was found at the bottom of the shaft, dreadfully mangled. [Scotsman 5 Dec 1882]

14 January 1884

Falkirk Serious Pit Accident – One Man Killed and Others Injured – Yesterday forenoon, while some miners were walking along a roadway in No 19 coal pit, belonging to the Redding Colliery Company , a large portion of the roofing fell, resulting in the death of one of the men and the serious injury of some of the others. William Thomson, 50 years of age, married and residing in Redding Village was recovered from the rubbish, having been crushed to death. James Binnie, an unmarried man, was also rescued in a critical state, and some others were slightly injured. [Scotsman 15 January 1884]

12 March 1884

Slamannan – Fatal Pit Occurrence – While Thomas Anderson, 35 years of age, married, and residing at Blinkbonnie, was yesterday working in the coal face in No 1 pit, South Arnloss, a stone of about 30 cwt. fell upon him, causing instantaneous death. [Scotsman 14 March 1884]

10 March 1888

Archibald Mulholland, thirty-five years of age, Slamannan, while at work in No. 5 pit, Limerigg, Slamannan, on Saturday, was killed by the fall of a large stone from the roof. [Scotsman 12 March 1888]

11 December 1890

Fatal Result of An Accident - Denny, Friday - About 10 o'clock last night, Andrew Murphy, Swan Close, Dunipace, employed in Quarter Coal Pit, died from injuries received during the day when following his calling as hutchman. He got in the way of a trace[sic] of empties, was knocked down, and had his back broken. Murphy was 55 years of age. [Evening Times 12 December 1890]

27 January 1892

Workman Crushed To Death At Denny - Yesterday morning William John Baird, employed in Woodyett Pit, Denny (Messrs Addie & Sons), was crushed to death by a fall from the roof. He resided at East Boreland Square, Denny, was 25 years of age, and unmarried. His father, Jonathan Baird, and a brother were working beside, William, and happily escaped, but any effort to save the deceased proved unavailing. This pit has been very free from accidents for some years. [Aberdeen Journal 28 January 1892]

29 May 1894

Slamannan - Fatal Pit Accident - On Tuesday morning last while James M'Pherson, miner, residing at Limerigg, Slamannan, was engaged at the coal face in Jubilee Pit, Balquhatston Colliery, Slamannan, belonging to Messrs John Nimmo & Sons, coalmasters, a large quantity of atones fell from the roof upon him, completely burying him beneath them. He was working alone, and when found by his fellow-workmen some time after, he was quite dead. Death seems to have resulted from suffocation. His body waa at once removed home. Deceased was married, and leaves a wife and four children to mourn his loss. He had only started work in Jubilee Pit that morning, and had not been engaged more than two hours when the accident happened. [Falkirk Herald 2 June 1894]

8 April 1895

Haggs - Mining Fatality – On Monday a serious accident which has unfortunately been followed with fatal results, occurred in Messrs John Young and Company's Banknock Collieries. A miner, named William Anderson (39), residing at Chapelside, Haggs, was engaged at work with three other men on that day when part of the roof of the working in which he was employed gave way and fell on Anderson’s head, thus inflicting serious injuries upon him. He was conveyed home and was attended by Dr Jones, Danny, and Dr Moir, Longcroft, but he succumbed to his injuries on the following day. The deceased was unmarried. [Falkirk Herald 13 April 1895]

5 July 1895

Fatal Accident at Redding Colliery - Yesterday afternoon an accident, which was unfortunately attended with fatal result, occurred at Redding Colliery to John Highet, Hillside House, Redding, who for some 25 years has been employed as foreman joiner at the colliery. Mr Highet, it appears, was unloading wood at Redding siding, and had been standing on the end of a waggon, when, unobserved by him, some waggons from an opposite direction came up, and, colliding with the one he was in, caused him to fall off. Falling in front of the wheel, he was run over, his right leg being almost severed from the body, and his arm seriously crushed and injured. He was at once conveyed to the surgery of Messrs Nobel's Explosives Works, and medical assistance summoned. Dr Wyse, Redding, and Dr Lawrie, Brightons, were speedily in attendance, when they found it necessary to amputate both the leg and arm. The surgical operation was carefully and satisfactorily performed, and it was hoped that the unfortunate man would survive. Unfortunately, however, he succumbed to his injuries while he was being conveyed from Messrs Nobel's works to his own home. Deceased, who was 71 years of age, was held in high esteem by a large number of friends. He is survived by a widow and grown-up family, for whom much sympathy is being expressed in their sad bereavement. [Falkirk Herald 6 July 1895]

29 July 1895

Fatal Accident Inquiries- Yesterday the first local inquiry under the Fatal accidents Act was held at Stirling before Sheriff-Substitute Buntine and a jury. The accident occurred to Paul Black, a miner, in Dumbreck Pit, Kilsyth, on 29th July, by the falling of a large stone from the roof of a haulage road, by which he was crushed to the ground causing paralysis of the lower half of the body from which he died in Glasgow Royal Infirmary on the 14th August. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the evidence. [Scotsman 24 August 1895]

6 August 1895

Fatal Mining Accident at Limerigg - Yesterday afternoon the Airdrie ambulance waggon was called to No. 3 Limerigg colliery, belonging to John Nimmo & Son, where a lad named Henry Scobbie (17), a pit drawer, had been seriously injured by a fall from the roof while working at the face. The sufferer was being conveyed in the ambulance waggon to Glasgow, but he died on the way. [Scotsman 7 August 1895]

5 October 1895

Pit Accident -At Mr Riggs' pits, Manuelrigg, on Saturday morning, a young man named Thomas Rae fell off a scaffolding where he was working, and was so severely injured that after being attended by Dr Lawrie, Polmont, he was removed home in a cab in a semi-conscious condition. [Falkirk Herald 12 October 1895]

7 October 1895

MUIRAVONSIDE - Fatal Pit Accident at Maddiston - On Monday morning, between nine and ten o'clock, a pit accident of a somewhat serious character occurred at South Craigend Colliery, Maddiston. A number of workmen were engaged in the shaft at sinking operations when the chain attached to the kettle or bucket, which was loaded with stones, broke, the bucket falling down the shaft & distance of seven fathoms. One of the workmen named Matthew O'Neil, aged twenty-five, who resided at Maddiston was struck on the head by the bucket, and death ensued almost instantaneously. Two other workmen were injured. One of them, named William Robertson, belonging to Lochheid, Muiravonside, was cut about the head ; and the other, named Archibald Martin, residing at Easter Shieldhill, was injured on the left leg, and sustained a shock to the system. Unfortunately the latter was seized with a chill as the result of exposure after the accident, and from the effects of this, together with the shock he had received, he succumbed yesterday morning. He was forty-seven years of age. [Falkirk Herald 12 October 1895]

4 November 1895

Fatal Pit Accident - A fatal pit accident occurred in No. 4 Pit, Barnsmuir, belonging to Barnsmuir Coal Company, on Monday last. It appears that about 10 a.m. Henry Yeardley, aged 14 1/2 years, was engaged at a coal face along with his father, William Yeardley, and was in the act of stowing rubbish, when a large stone, weighing about two tons, fell upon him, completely burying him beneath it. His father at once procured the assistance of other workmen, but when the unfortunate lad was extricated, he was found to be dead. His body was at once removed to his father's house at Barnsmuir, and was examined by Dr Young, who gave it as his opinion that death must have been instantaneous. [Falkirk Herald - Saturday 9 November 1895]

25 January 1896

Pit Fatality - On Saturday forenoon a fatal accident occurred at No. 8 Pit, Blackston Colliery, belonging to Messrs James Nimmo & Co. John Penders, 16 years of age, residing at Bathgate, was at work, when a piece of fireclay fell from the roof, fracturing his skull and causing instantaneous death. The father of the deceased and an elder brother were working a few yards off, and on hearing a noise they made their way to the place where the boy was working, and found him lying on the ground face downwards, and quite dead. [Falkirk Herald 29 January 1896]

31 January 1896

Fatal Pit Accident - Yesterday forenoon a miner named James Weatherall, 33 years of age, residing at Back Brae Street, was fatally injured. While he was engaged working at the coal face of Dumbreck Pit, there fell from the roof a piece of coal, weighing about 10 cwts., part of which fell on his head, fracturing the skull, and causing almost immediate death. [Falkirk Herald 1 February 1896]

12 August 1896

Fatal Accident at Redding Colliery - On Wednesday morning about three o'clock a serious accident occurred at No. 21 Pit, Redding Colliery, Darnrigg, the property of Messrs James Nimmo & Co., coalmasters. It appears that two miners named Wm. Johnston, 25 years of age, and Geo. M'Gougan, 34 years of age, both residing at King Street, Reddingmuirhead, were engaged "tapping" the roof of the pit and taking out old props and putting in new ones, when without warning several tons of stones and rubbish came away from the roof and fell on both men. About an hour elapsed before M'Gougan, who was bruised about the body, could extricate himself from the stones. During the whole of that time he shouted for assistance, but there was no one at hand to render him help. When, however, he succeeded in getting the stones and rubbish which covered him removed, he ran through the mine calling loudly for help. On obtaining assistance, a search was made for Johnston. All that could be seen of him was one of his feet, which obtruded through the stones, &c, and when the rubbish was removed he was found to be quite dead. M'Gougan, who fortunately was not seriously injured, was conveyed home and medically attended. Johnston was unmarried. [Falkirk Herald 15 August 1896]

Miners' Board Meeting - A Board meeting of the Forth and Clyde Valley Miners' Association was held in the Liberal Club Rooms. Falkirk, on Thursday. Mr William Reid. Shieldhill, president of the association, occupied the chair………. The secretary was instructed to convey to the relatives of William Johnston, who was accidentally killed at Redding Colliery en Wednesday, the sympathy of the association in their sad and sudden bereavement. [Falkirk Herald 15 August 1896]

Fatal Accident Inquiry - In the Sheriff Court on Thursday - before Sheriff Lees and a jury - an inquiry was held into the death of Wm. Johnston, miner, Reddingmuirhead who was killed on the 12th of August at No. 21 Pit of Redding Colliery. Johnston and another man named M'Gougan were engaged repairing a road in the pit, when a large stone fell from the roof, which crushed both, M'Gougan being injured, and Johnston instantaneously killed. Mr Gibson, Procurator-Fiscal, conducted the prosecution. Mr James Wilson appeared on behalf of the employers, Messrs James Nimmo and Sons; and Mr J. B. Atkinson, H.M. Inspector of Mines. Glasgow, was also present. George M'Gougan deponed that the deceased and he were engaged repairing the road in No. 21 Pit on the night of the 12th August. While they were at work, a large stone fell from the roof, killing Johnston, and injuring witness himself. He did not know who was in charge of the pit that night, or who was fireman. Wm. Thomson, miner, Wester Divoties, deponed that he was in the pit at two and five o'clock in the morning of the 12th August. The roof appeared to him to be dangerous looking, and was needing repairing. Witness told Johnston and M'Gougan to put wood up to it to keep it from falling. M'Gougan came to witness, and told him that Johnston had been killed. He went along with M'Gougan, and found Johnston quite dead below the stone. He was not able to extricate the body. Witness did not know who was in charge of the pit or who was fireman that night. He was not himself fireman. Robert Muirhead, brusher, gave evidence as to the finding of deceased's body. Andrew Beveridge, oversman, deponed that he was informed of the accident in the morning. He found deceased on the top of a hutch, and under a heavy stone which had fallen from the roof. Deceased and M'Gougan were employed in repairing the road. He saw that the road was not repaired to the distance they were to go to. They had got twenty-two feet inwards. Wm. Thomson was fireman during the night of the 12th, and was put on by Mr Roy as fireman, and had to make out the report as fireman. Thomson had acted as fireman before, and had signed reports before. He (witness) took it for granted that Thomson was reporting as before. Alex. M'Luckie said that Wm. Thomson was fireman on the night of the 12th, and had been appointed by the oversman. He understood that Thomson was appointe. Jas. Brown had acted as fireman two or three weeks previous, and there were reports signed by him. He could not say why Thomson did not sign a report. The jury returned the following verdict:- "The jury find that the said Wm. Thomson was killed on 12th August, 1896, at No. 21 Pit of Redding Colliery, in the parish of Polmont, Stirlingshire, by the fall of a stone from the roof of the said pit on the said day. The deceased and M'Gougan contributed to the accident, as, being practical miners, they ought to have seen the danger, and stopped work. At the same time, the absence of a signed report from the fireman reflected culpability on the part of some one. [Falkirk Herald 19 September 1896]

31 October 1896

Fatal Accident Inquiries At Falkirk - In Falkirk Sheriff Court yesterday, before Sheriff-Substitute Scott-Moncrieff and a jury, an inquiry was held, under the Fatal Accidents Act, into the circumstances attending the death of James Kidd, blacksmith , Loanhead, Slamannan, on 31st October last. From the evidence led, it appeared that the deceased was in the employment of Messrs W. Black & Sons, coalmasters, Airdrie, at No. 1 pit of Southfield colliery, Slamannan. On the date referred to he was engaged in making some small repairs on a waggon standing on a siding at the colliery, and was working underneath the waggon. Whilst he was so engaged the waggon under which he was working was set in motion by being struck by other waggons in the course of shunting operations then going on. The wheel of the waggon passed over deceased's arm and leg, causing injuries from which he died in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow on 18th November. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the evidence, adding that in their opinion the coalmasters ought to have had a better system of shunting, whereby such accidents could not take place. They were further of opinion that it was wrong for a man repairing a waggon to be in below the waggon when shunting operations were going on in the neighbourhood. [Scotsman 28 November 1896]

12 March 1897

Fatal Accident - About four o'clock on Friday morning a serious accident occurred at Crosscroes Colliery, belonging to Messrs R. Forrester it Sons, resulting in the death of a man named James Jenkins, a brusher, who was brushing a road along with another man. Assistance had to be got from the surface before the unfortunate man could be got out from under the stone which had fallen upon him. Jenkins leaves a wife and family. [Falkirk Herald 13 March 1897]

29 March 1897

Slamannan - Fatal Pit Accident - About eleven o'clock on Monday morning, while Alexander M'Millan, a miner, residing at No. 1 Pit, Limerigg, Slamannan, was working in the low side of his working place in the soft coal in No. Pit, Balquhatston Colliery, belonging to Messrs John Nimmo & Sons., and engaged in a lying position throwing coals to the road-bead, where his son, aged 18, was filling a hutch, the roof gave way, and a large stone, weighing about 18 cwt., fell upon him, completely burying him beneath it. His son at once got assistance from the neighbouring workmen. It was found, however, that the stone was too heavy to be lifted, and it had consequently to be broken over the unfortunate man's body, and when taken out he was found to be dead. The body was at once removed to the pit bank, where Dr Young was in attendance, and pronounced life extinct. Deceased leaves a widow and five of a family. [Falkirk Herald 31 March 1897]

23 June 1897

Fatal Accident Inquiry - On Tuesday forenoon - before Sheriff-Substitute Buntine and a jury - an inquiry took place into the circumstances attending the death of William Orman, pit oversman, Kilsyth. The evidence showed that on the 23d June, while deceased was assisting in clearing a road in Banknock Colliery, where a fall from the roof had occurred in the morning, a second fall took place, and a large stone came down, and in falling struck a hutch and then rolled over, jamming the deceased against another stone on the side of the road. He was so seriously injured that he died early next morning. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the evidence. [Falkirk Herald 17 July 1897]

18 August 1897

Fatal Pit Accident -On Wednesday a painful accident occurred in the Woodyett Pit Herbertshire (R. Addie & Sons), resulting in the death of a young man named Francis Donnachie, who resides with his widowed mother in Broad Street. Donnachie was engaged as a drawer in Woodyett, and it would appear chat from some unexplained cause a hutch had ran away from the brae in the section where he was employed, and dashing along at a terrific speed overtook Donnachie, and striking him on the head smashed the skull, so that the brains were protruding. One of his arms was also broken. The poor fellow was picked up on the road insensible, and medical aid was summoned. Dr Lumsden, who attended, descended the pit, and having done what was possible for the injuries had him removed home, where he lingered on till evening, expiring about six o'clock. There was little hope of recovery from the first, his injuries being of such a serious nature. He was 18 years of age, and his remains were interred in the cemetery yesterday (Friday) afternoon in presence of a large concourse of his fellow-workmen. Much sympathy has been expressed towards the mother and other members of the family in their sad bereavement. [Falkirk Herald 21 August 1897]

25 October 1897

Fatal Accident - Last Monday evening, about ten o'clock, a miner named James Ritchie, aged 32, was fatally injured in No. 20 Pit, Redding Colliery. It appears that Ritchie, who was employed as a brusher, was acting in that capacity when a stone came away from the roof and killed the unfortunate man. [Falkirk Herald 30 October 1897]

The Recent Redding Colliery Accident - An inquiry, under the Fatal Accidents Act, was held in the Falkirk Sheriff Court yesterday - before Sheriff Russell Bell and a jury - into the circumstances attending the death of James Ritchie, brusher, California, Polmont parish, who, while working on 25th October as a brusher in No. 20 Pit, Redding Colliery, occupied by Messrs James Nimmo & Co. (Limited), coalmasters, was instantaneously killed by being crushed underneath a piece of stone, which fell from the roof. Mr W. K. Gair, procurator-fiscal, conducted the inquiry ; Mr James M. Wilson, solicitor, appeared on behalf of the owners, and Mr Atkinson, solicitor, Glasgow, appeared on behalf of H.M. Inspectors of Mines. Peter Carmichael, brusher, California, said he worked in the Redding Colliery, and deceased worked along with him on the night of 25th of October. He and witness went to work at 5.30 in the afternoon, and worked up till nine o'clock together, and then stopped and had supper. On starting work again deceased asked for a pick and spade, and after that witness felt himself falling back. It was a stone that had fallen from the roof that did this. Witness was stupefied but not hurt. The lights were knocked out with the stone fading. Witness called for his neighbours, and they found deceased lying under the stone, almost dead. There were "trees" under the stone that fell. He never knocked out any of the trees. Witness did not know what deceased was going to do with the spade. Cross-examined by Mr Atkinson, witness said they had fired no shots on the night in question. They were going to brush the pit up to the face. Robert Thomson, brusher, Wallacestone, said he was in the pit on the night in question, and he saw nothing to suggest danger at all. Other witnesses gave evidence, and the jury returned a verdict in accordance with the evidence. [Falkirk Herald 6 November 1897]

29 October 1897

Fatal Result of an Accident - On Monday evening about 10 o'clock Mr John Thomson, aged 63 years, succumbed to the shock sustained through an accident met with on Friday morning of the previous week in a coal pit at Shieldhill. It will be remembered that while engaged in his ordinary employment Thomson had one of his legs broken, and received some other injuries about the head by a fall of stones from the roof. Death is supposed to have resulted from the shock rather than the severity of the accident. The funeral of deceased took place on Thursday afternoon to Polmont Churchyard, and was attended by a large number of the inhabitants. Deceased was highly respected in the locality. [Falkirk Herald 6 November 1897]

8 December 1897

Fatal Pit Accident - A serious pit accident, resulting in the death of a pit brusher and the injury of his companion, took place on Wednesday morning last. David Marshall, Market Place and Jas. Hamilton, both brushers, were engaged in that capacity in No.2, Barrwood Colliery, on a hutch road near to the coal face when an enormous fall of stone occurred from the roof, burying both underneath. When extricated, Marshall was discovered to be dead. Hamilton happily escaped with a few bruises. [Falkirk Herald 11 December 1897]

19 April 1898

Fatal Pit Accident - On Tuesday night about 12 o'clock, while John Divers, pit brusher, was at work in No. 1 Dumbreck Pit, a stone came from the roof, weighing about 5 cwt., and crushed his head between it and the pavement, killing him instantaneously. The unfortunate man leaves a widow and four children to mourn his loss. [Falkirk Herald 23 April 1898]

6 May 1898

Fatal Accidents Inquiry - At Stirling Sheriff Court on Tuesday, a public inquiry was held in connection with the death of Andrew Bell, brakesman, Barrhill Rows, Twechar, who lost his life on the 6th inst. at Dumbreck Colliery, while engaged in shunting operations. A formal verdict was given in accordance with the evidence. [Falkirk Herald 21 May 1898]

17 May 1898

Miner Killed - On Tuesday forenoon, while Alexander Barrie, miner, 54 years. Church Lane, was engaged at work in Nethercroy Colliery, he was crushed to death by a fall from the roof of his working place. The unfortunate man leaves a widow and grown-up family. [Falkirk Herald 21 May 1898]

31 May 1898

The Death of a Girl at a Colliery - Fatal Accidents Inquiry - On Tuesday, in the Stirling Sheriff Court, before interim Sheriff-Substitute Liddall and a jury, an inquiry was held in regard to the death of Janet Parker Prow, 17 years of age, pithead worker, Milton Row, Dunipace, which occurred on 31st May, through her falling amongst the wheels of the dook engine at Carronriggs Colliery. Mr Welsh, procurator-fiscal, conducted the inquiry, which was taken part in by Mr Ronaldson, Glasgow, inspector of mines for the western district of Scotland, and Mr Chisholm Robertson.' Alexander Langley, under manager at the colliery, deponed that there was a fence around the engine, inside which no one was allowed. The engineman being engaged at other work, and a signal being made for starting the engine, he (Langley) attended to it, and as he did so some of the girls came into the engine house by the east door. The engine was just set agoing, and Prow, who was first, must have crept through the fence, stumbled over the sole plate, and fell among the wheels. He immediately stopped the engine, which had gone six teeth, and with the assistance of others turned the wheel of the engine backwards to remove the girl's body, which was very much crushed, death, in his opinion, being instantaneous. He did not know why the girls were there. He had often warned them against going inside the fence, and the girl Prow knew of the rule. The girls began work at 7, and left off at 3. They had an hour for breakfast, and were allowed into the engine-house to eat it, but not inside the fence. He saw the girl enter by the door at the other end of the engine from where he was at the lever, and might have shouted to her had he known her intention to get through the fence, but only something like half a minute had gone before she was among the wheels. The engine bad only gone about twenty yards altogether, and from the time he saw what had happened until it was stopped, it had only gone six teeth or about three feet. James Bain deponed he had been engineman for two years, and had often warned the girls out from the fence. They were allowed into the house for their breakfast, but at that time the engine was at rest. Inside the fence there was a goodly number of empty cement bags, on which the girls might sit while at their meals. Janet Weir (15), pithead worker, said they began at 7, and stopped between 4 and 5. They had half-an-hour for their breakfast, from 9.30 till 10. About 12.30 they got 10 minutes to eat a piece. On the day of the accident she did the same as usual, crept through the engine fence, and sat down on the bags to eat her piece. The engine was going at the time, Mr Langley attending to it. She could not say whether Janet Prow tripped or not. She rose to let her get to her piece, and said, "Watch yourself, Janet,"' and she just took two steps, and fell. They went there every day to eat their pieces, but Bain, the engineman, often put them out. Langley did not say anything when she went through the fence. They worked till 4.30, and sometimes 5, and till 2 on Saturdays. Other evidence was led. Mr Chisholm Robertson remarked on the apparent carelessness in management which prevailed at the pit, and more particularly in the girls being allowed to go inside the fence at the engine. There was also a great deal to be said against the shortness of the time allowed for meals, which was a clear breach of the Act, which allowed the workers an hour and a half. The Sheriff also remarked upon the inadequate accommodation provided for the rest and comfort of the girls while at their meals, and the jury, while recording a verdict in accordance with the evidence as to the cause of death, added a rider to the effect that a place ought to be provided where the workers might rest in comfort and safety. [Falkirk Herald 11 June 1898]

Settlement of a Claim for Damages - In connection with the fatal accident to Janet Parker Prow, daughter of Arthur Prow, miner, Dunipace, Denny, who was killed on 31st May at Messrs A. G. Moore and Company's colliery by falling into tho machinery, a claim was intimated on behalf of the father, on the ground that the machinery should have been better fenced, and that a suitable place should have been provided by the colliery owners for his daughter and the other girls engaged to take their meals. The accident happened when the girl was passing inside the fencing at the machinery, that being, it was stated, the place where the girls were in the habit of eating their meals. The matter has now been amicably settled by a payment to the pursuer. The pursuer's agent was Mr J. Jeffrey Hunter, writer, 139 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, and the defenders' agent, Mr J. S. Maclean, 75 St. George's Place, Glasgow. [Falkirk Herald 23 July 1898]

May 1898

Serious Accident to a Miner - On Friday forenoon a serious accident happened to Archd. Ure, miner, residing at Reddingmuir. While engaged at work in No. 23 Pit of the Redding Colliery (Messrs Nimmo and Coy.'s), a mass of coal, weighing about two tons, suddenly came away, crushing him to the ground. He was extricated as speedily as possible by his fellow workmen, and taken home, where Dr Wyse, Blairs, who was in attendance, found him to be suffering from serious spinal and internal injuries. Dr Blair advised the injured man's removal to Edinburgh Infirmary, which was effected in the afternoon. [Falkirk Herald 1 June 1898]

23 December 1898

Fatal Pit Accident - On Friday afternoon Robert Mackay, trimmer, employed at Stripeside Pit, Denny (Robert Addie & Sons), was accidentally killed when shifting a waggon. His neck was compressed by one of the wheels, and death was instantaneous. He was about 40 years of age, and unmarried. Mackay belonged to Montrose, and lived in lodgings in Herbertshire Street, Denny. [Falkirk Herald 28 December 1898]

10 April 1899

Fatal Pit Accident - On Monday morning Thomas Ramsay, aged 17, residing in High Street, met with an accident in Dumbreck Pit, which proved fatal a few hours afterwards. He was engaged turning a hutch on the main road, when a loaded hutch came unexpectedly down on him, and he was jammed between the two. Besides other injuries, his skull was fractured, and after being conveyed home he only survived a few minutes. Deceased belonged to Airdrie, and has not been long in the district. [Falkirk Herald 15 April 1899]

13 April 1900

Miner Killed At Bannockburn – Falls 180 Feet - Yesterday morning Hugh Duncan (37), a miner, residing in the Haugh, Bannockburn, was killed in No. 2 pit of the Bannockburn Colliery belonging to the Alloa Coal Company. He descended the dip cage along with other seven men, and stepped off at the south side of the pit at the Harthly Seam, but as he was employed on the north side he made to crow over. Instead of going round he walked right into the open shaft and fell to the lower bottom, a distance of 180 feet. He was instantaneously killed. [Dundee Courier 14 April 1900]

24 April 1900

Fatal Pit Accident - William Branks, a pit drawer, 22 years of age, and residing in Currieruns, was killed in Dumbreck Pit on Tuesday morning. He had just started work, and was drawing his first hutch from the "face" to the pit bottom, and when on his way thither a large stone came away from the roof, and, striking him on the head, almost split it in two, besides breaking his back. Death was instantaneous. [Falkirk Herald 28 April 1900]

7 July 1900

Fatal Pit Accident - On Saturday forenoon a drawer named Peter M'Dermid, residing at Milton Row, Dunipace, Denny, and employed in the Stripeside Pit, Herbertshire Collieries (Robert Addie & Sons), was killed by a fall of rock. He was engaged with some others at the road-head, when a part of the roof suddenly came away, completely burying M'Dermid. A cousin of M'Dermid's heard the rock give a cracking noise, and called to Peter, but he was caught before he could clear out - the others escaping narrowly. He had to be dug out of the debris, and death was instantaneous. He was 19 years of age. [Falkirk Herald 11 July 1900]

28 July 1900

Fatal Accident Enquiry - In the Sheriff Court yesterday - before Sheriff Bell and a jury - an enquiry took place into the circumstances attending the death of Alex. Ure, miner, Standburn, who was fatally injured by a large stone falling upon him from the roof of a working place in No. 1 Pit, Redford Colliery, while employed there on the 28th July. After hearing the evidence, the jury returned a verdict that the deceased had met his death in the manner above described. [Falkirk Herald 15 August 1900]

2 October 1900

Kilsyth Mining Fatality – James Cleland, 23 years, Church Street, was killed in Dumbreck Pit late on Tuesday. Deceased, who was a brusher, was “redding up” a fall on the road, when another fall came away from the roof and crushed him to death. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser October 6 1900]

11 December 1900

Kilsyth - Fatal Colliery Accident - William Lindsay (31) miner, Church Street, died in the Royal Infirmary on Saturday from internal injuries received during the week in Dumbreck Pit by a fall from the roof. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 22 December 1900]