Useful LinksThe links below are not a comprehensive list of resources but are recommended because we have found them useful. If you would like to suggest a site for inclusion, please complete the form at the bottom of this page. Please note, we do not accept reciprocal link requests from commercial sites.
General Genealogy Links
- Scotlandspeople - the essential site for researching Scottish ancestors
- Talkingscot and Rootschat - for general genealogy enquiries, we recommend posting on one of these two free forums which provide help and information on researching Scottish ancestors.
- New Statistical Account of Scotland (select non-subscribers - browse scanned pages). Detailed reports on Scottish Parishes, including agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. Old Statistical account covers 1791-1799 and the New 1834-1845
- Dictionary of Scots Language
- British History Online - Collection of useful resources including 1846 Topographical Dictionary and Maps
- Vision of Britain - sources include Groome's 1885 Gazetteer, census information and maps.
- Genuki - a useful portal page providing information on resources available, although many pages are not actively maintained.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Scottish War Memorials Project
Online Newspaper Archives
- Scotsman (paid) - a searchable archive of every edition of The Scotsman between 1817 and 1950. Also available as institutional subscription via Gale - access may be available through your local library. Scottish residents can gain access via the National Library of Scotland licensed digital collections
- British library 19th century - free access to this Gale site may be available via your local library. Scottish residents can gain access via the National Library of Scotland licensed digital collections
- Times archive - free access to this Gale site may be available via your local library. Scottish residents can gain access via the National Library of Scotland licensed digital collections
- British Newspaper Archive (paid) - free to search but credits or subscription required to view - also available as part of subscriptions to Findmypast(paid site)
- Glasgow Herald - 1806 to late 1980s available free via Google but no search function
- Evening Times - 1950s onwards available free via Google but no search function
- National Archives of Scotland
- Scottish Archive Network
- Greater Glasgow NHS archive
- SCRAN - subscription site with loads of useful photos and other info from Scottish museums, archives and other sources. Free access to thumbnail sized images.
- Scottish Mining Museum
- British History On-line
- National Library OS maps 1898-1904
- National Library Town Plans
- Old maps (site now has more emphasis on paid content but some maps free to view)
Links on mining and towns and villages
- Fife Pits - excellent site with in depth information on Fife Pits
- Quarter (link disabled due to reports of malicious software)
- Leadhills and Wanlockhead Mining
- Ayrshire History - excellent site including old photos - covers Sorn, Mauchline, Catrine, Muirkirk, Glenbuck & Failford
- Falkirk Local History Society - information on towns and villages in Falkirk area
- Forth Villages - site with history and photos of Forth, Wilsontown and Tarbrax
- Miners Voices - oral history project in Ayrshire
- Museum of the Scottish Shale Industry
Local Councils (for libraries and archives)
- North Lanarkshire
- South Lanarkshire
- East Lothian
- West Lothian
- North Ayrshire
- South Ayrshire
- East Ayrshire
- Dumfries and Galloway
- East Dunbartonshire
Submit a Link
To submit a link for possible inclusion on this page, please complete the form below. All links will be reviewed for suitability before inclusion.